Annual Celebration 2020:
Renew our Community Through Courageous Love
Saturday, October 24, 2020
10:00am – noon
Virtual meeting via Zoom
Registration is closed, meeting is over
For the first time in our recorded history, we are gathering for our Annual Celebration through an online “Zoom” meeting. The COVID-19 protocols limit our ability to meet in person, and we want to do our part to ensure everyone’s health and safety. So for this year, on Saturday morning, October 24, settle into your favorite chair, get your morning snack, and connect with our District United Methodist Women online.
- Celebrate the Mission and Ministry of our District United Methodist Women
- Brief business meeting
- Guest speaker Dr. Mary Cheng
Watch the video recordings of the meeting here
Guest speaker Dr. Mary Cheng
Spirituality, leadership, and transformation are at the heart of Mary’s passion to help individuals, organization and communities thrive.
As a former staff member at the National Office of United Methodist Women, Mary had the privilege of leading Mission u (formerly Schools of Christian Mission), a program that provides transformative educational experiences engaging women from across the country to study current issues in a faith-rooted, participatory and action-oriented way.
Since her return home to California last year, she became engaged with the California-Nevada Annual Conference on a project to assess and recommend initiatives to develop the leadership of the clergy in the conference. With the completion of the project, she now looks forward to new learning and service opportunities in her second half of life. Mary holds a Doctor of Philosophy degree in Christian Spirituality from the Graduate Theological Union and is an active member of Berkeley Methodist United Church.
Business Meeting documents for your review
During the business meeting, we will vote on 3 items. Please review them in advance so that you are ready to place your Yes/No votes.
- Membership Development Budget for 2021
- There is no change from the 2020 Budget.
- Slate of Team Members (new to team, new to role) for 2021
- If you have someone you’d like to nominate for the Team, please fill out and send in the Nomination From the Floor form, here, by October 19, 2020.
- Standing Rules update for 2021
- Many of the changes proposed to the Standing Rules relate to changes in the structure of the District Team, to improve flexibility and to encourage team members to participate in more avenues of ministry as the spirit leads. See more information about theses changes in the supporting document “The Leadership Team.”
Tips for getting the most out of a Zoom meeting
- If you are unfamiliar with Zoom meetings, watch this brief video aimed at first-time users
- Gain support from family and/or housemates to be “gone” during the meeting
- Be fully present; don’t multi-task
- Engage yourself; taking notes is great way to focus
Mission & Ministry Workshops
Explore ways to be in mission and ministry in today’s world with our follow-up workshops. This year, workshops are being held separately from Annual Celebration, on the following 3 Saturday mornings.
Registration is required to receive “Zoom” link for these workshops.
Saturday, Oct. 31, 2020, 10:00am:
Changing Ourselves, Changing the World
Led by Betty Dickey and Lisa Hatchett.
Saturday, Nov. 7, 2020, 10:00am:
Finding Peace in a Traumatic World
Led by Sandra Nesheim.
Saturday, Nov. 14, 2020, 10:00am:
Developing Resilience through Communal Spiritual Practice
Led by Dr. Mary Cheng and Julie Taylor.